It's fun to experiment in the kitchen. This cola-glazed tofu might sound like a weird combination at first, but it's so good! It's sweet, hot, and a little bit sticky. As the tofu cooks, the sauce caramelizes, which results in crispy edges for the tofu. Serve this with rice, veggies, and avocado.
Sweet and Spicy Cola Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cans of cola of choice
- 3 heaping tablespoons ketchup
- 1-2 teaspoons hot paprika paste or Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- Dry tofu with a paper towel. Cut into cubes, then halve each cube and place tofu in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce or tamari, cola, ketchup, ginger, and paprika or Sriracha. Whisk with a fork to combine, then pour over the tofu. Make sure that each piece has been covered by in marinade.
- Transfer to a bowl of tofu and stir so that all covered in marinade. Place bowl in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, stirring from time to time.
- Stick tofu with skewers, then fry on a grill pan, rotating and brushing with extra marinade from time to time. The tofu marinade should take on a darker color and caramelize a little. You can also use a traditional grill.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chopped green herbs. Serve with bread, rice, avocado, or whatever you want.