This Strawberry Jelly Cream Cake is the perfect light and summery treat! It’s not only 100% vegan but can also be made gluten-free! Imagine an airy sponge cake as a base, followed by a fluffy cream layer, topped with a delicious fruity strawberry layer that’s surrounded by jelly – are you drooling yet?
Strawberry Jelly Cream Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gf all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons oil (neutral tasting)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 can full fat coconut cream, chilled (the firm part only)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries, halved
- 1 1/3 cup natural grape juice
- 1 tablespoon plant-based thickener
- Combine the dry cake ingredients in a large bowl and the wet ingredients in another small bowl. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and combine with a spatula (be careful not to over mix). Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a square baking dish with parchment paper (make sure that the parchment hangs over on the sides so you can use it as handles). Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread evenly. Place into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, then remove from the oven and let cool down.
- In the meantime, prepare the whipped cream. Take your chilled coconut cream out of the fridge and scoop the firm part into a medium-sized bowl. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and use a hand mixer to whisk everything together until fluffy, then place back into the fridge to firm up.
- Once the cake has cooled down completely, spread the whipped cream in an even layer on top and place into the fridge. Wash, de-stem and halve your strawberries and arrange them on top of the cream, pressing down slightly. Place back into the fridge.
- For the jelly, place all ingredients into a small saucepan or pot and whisk together. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 seconds, then take off the heat. Let the jelly mixture cool down a bit, whisking constantly so it doesn’t firm up. You want it to be warm to the touch but not hot, so it won’t immediately melt the whipped cream. Pour it over the strawberries in an even layer and immediately place back in the fridge for 45 minutes - 2 hours to firm up, then serve!