Not sure what to do with all of the apples lying around your house? Here's an idea: make this deliciously flavorful chutney! It has the sweetness of plums and apple, the spiciness from cinnamon, cumin, and ginger, and the perfect savory touch from garlic, onion, and a bit of salt. This chutney livens up any dish, tastes wonderful on a roasted piece of seitan, and perks up sandwiches instantly.
Spicy Plum and Apple Chutney [Vegan]
3 small jars
- 1/2 of 1 bulb of garlic
- A small thumb-size piece of ginger
- 1 large onion
- 1 pound and 2 ounces of apples
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound and 2 ounces of plums
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- Wash and sterilize mason jars at 300°F for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut garlic into slithers, thinly shred ginger and chop the onion.
- Place the garlic, ginger, and onion in the saucepan with the chopped apples, spices, vinegar, and salt.
- Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stone and chop the plums, add to the saucepan with the sugar and cook for another 40 minutes stirring regularly.
- Spoon into sterilized jars while still hot, cover with plastic and fabric and tie.
- Store for at least 1 month until use.
Store for at least 1 month until use.