Not sure what to do with all of the apples lying around your house? Here's an idea: make this deliciously flavorful chutney! It has the sweetness of plums and apple, the spiciness from cinnamon, cumin, and ginger, and the perfect savory touch from garlic, onion, and a bit of salt. This chutney livens up any dish, tastes wonderful on a roasted piece of seitan, and perks up sandwiches instantly.
Spicy Plum and Apple Chutney [Vegan]
3 small jars
Ingredients You Need for Spicy Plum and Apple Chutney [Vegan]
- 1/2 of 1 bulb of garlic
- A small thumb-size piece of ginger
- 1 large onion
- 1 pound and 2 ounces of apples
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound and 2 ounces of plums
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
How to Prepare Spicy Plum and Apple Chutney [Vegan]
- Wash and sterilize mason jars at 300°F for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut garlic into slithers, thinly shred ginger and chop the onion.
- Place the garlic, ginger, and onion in the saucepan with the chopped apples, spices, vinegar, and salt.
- Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stone and chop the plums, add to the saucepan with the sugar and cook for another 40 minutes stirring regularly.
- Spoon into sterilized jars while still hot, cover with plastic and fabric and tie.
- Store for at least 1 month until use.
Store for at least 1 month until use.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.