Bold flavors in a delicious tofu scramble - what more could you ask for in a breakfast? Start our day off the best way with this spicy Indian scrambled tofu.
Spicy Indian Scrambled Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 small/ medium jalapeno pepper, seeds removed diced
- 1 inch of ginger grated
- 5 large cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 large red onion diced (save some for garnishing at the end)
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pav bhaji spice (available at any Indian grocer or online)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 1/3 ounces firm or extra firm tofu drained
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped (+ some for garnishing at the end)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Naan bread, 4-5 pieces. (We have commercially prepared vegan options at our local grocery store)
- Prepare all of your ingredients before you start cooking.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add your canola oil.
- When the oil is hot, add your whole cumin and fennel seeds and allow them to sizzle for about 30 seconds.
- Add your chopped onion and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add your jalapeño, ginger and garlic (I give these all a quick blitz in the food processor to avoid the pressing, chopping and grating.) Cook for about a minute.
- Add your chopped, deseeded tomatoes and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add your coriander, pav bhaji masala, turmeric, chile powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Crumble your tofu right into the pan with your hands (no need to press it first). Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- Turn off the heat and add your lemon juice and cilantro.
- Adjust salt if needed and sprinkle on a bit more pav bhaji if you like it hot.
- Serve on naan bread.
- Garnish with sliced red onion and cilantro.