This delicious spicy vegan gumbo is perfect for those cold winter nights, or when you just need some really tasty comfort food.
Spicy Gumbo [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spicy Gumbo [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 vegan sausages, sliced
- 1 package vegan chicken strips, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 packs (64 oz) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Green onion slices for garnish
How to Prepare Spicy Gumbo [Vegan]
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in sausage and chicken, cook until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Clean out Dutch oven and heat remaining oil over medium heat, gradually whisking in flour. Keep whisking and cook until mixture starts to darken about 10 minutes.
- Stir in onions, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until they start to get tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in thyme, black pepper, and red pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and serve over cooked rice and with green onion garnish.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 200 (Not including rice)Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.