This delicious spicy vegan gumbo is perfect for those cold winter nights, or when you just need some really tasty comfort food.
Spicy Gumbo [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 vegan sausages, sliced
- 1 package vegan chicken strips, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 packs vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Green onion slices for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in sausage and chicken, cook until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Clean out Dutch oven and heat remaining oil over medium heat, gradually whisking in flour. Keep whisking and cook until mixture starts to darken about 10 minutes.
- Stir in onions, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until they start to get tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in thyme, black pepper, and red pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and serve over cooked rice and with green onion garnish.