Crispy, crunchy, spicy, and reminiscent of something you would order in a fast food joint. The patty in these spicy fried "chicken" sandwiches is made from vital wheat gluten that has been cooked in vegan chicken broth, then dredged and fried in a spicy batter until crisp and golden. Serve this crispy patty with your favorite greens and a creamy sauce that's addictively spicy.
Spicy Fried ‘Chicken’ Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Spicy "Chicken" Cutlet:
- 6 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoon no-chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered vegan egg
- About 1/2 cup water
- Hot sauce, as desired
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
For the Spicy Sauce:
- Hot sauce
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Bread of choice
- In a bowl, mix 6 tablespoons vital wheat gluten, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon tahini, 1 tablespoon hot sauce, and 3 tablespoons vegan chicken broth.
- Combine ingredients in both bowls to make your veggie patty dough. Knead dough for a minute.
- Boil patty in water or broth for about an hour. Then, set aside to cool and press with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan egg powder with about 1/2 cup cold water. Add water slowly, you may not need it all or you may need extra. Add enough cold water until it’s a thick batter. Add hot sauce to thin it out and maybe some more cold water.
- Make flour mixture for breading. Mix 6 tablespoons flour with 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, salt, and chipotle powder or cayenne pepper. Mix and taste. Add more flavors or salt if needed.
- Coat patty with flour mixture, then dip in vegan egg mixture. Allow excess to drip off then put back in the flour mixture.
- Heat oil to high/med-high heat and fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Make the hot sauce by combining vegan mayonnaise and hot sauce, to taste. Serve on bread of choice.
- Seitan (Plant Protein)