Easy to make and incredibly moist and delicious, this spiced mini carrot cake is a must-make for any lover of carrot cakes. The batter is spiced with cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and allspice with added raisins and walnuts. It is paired with a sweet and tangy soy yogurt frosting. This cake is also the perfect small sweet treat after a romantic dinner.
Spiced Mini Carrot Cake [Vegan]
1 mini cake
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/5 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 flax egg (1/2 tablespoon flax meal, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1.4 ounces grated carrots
- 2 3/4 tablespoons walnut pieces (optional)
- 1/8 cup raisins (optional)
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare 1/2 flax egg by mixing 1/2 tablespoon of flax meal with 1 1/2 tablespoons of cold water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Grease two ramekins with vegan butter or oil and lightly dust them with flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients including the flax egg before adding it to the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots, walnuts, and raisins (optional) and mix until combined.
- Evenly distribute batter into the two ramekins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes for 5 minutes in the ramekins before flipping them out onto a cooling rack. Let them cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- Place yogurt and vanilla in medium bowl.
- Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar with electric mixer. If it looks too thin, add more sugar or put the frosting in the refrigerator to harden.
- Spread frosting on top of one cake (if you like, cut off the crust to level the cake), add the second mini cake on top of it and spread more frosting. Decorate with more walnuts.