With an infusion of fragrant warm spices and luscious dark chocolate, this bread is nothing short of a decadent treat. It’s sweet but not too sweet, not too dense and aromatic. Delicious and tender spiced up banana bread studded with dark chocolate.
Spiced Dark Chocolate Banana Bread [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (whole-wheat or gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3 1/4 - 4 1/4 ounces dark chocolate bar, chopped (or ~1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- 3 – 4 very ripe bananas, mashed or pureed
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a loaf pan.
- Mix ground flaxseed and water in a small cup or bowl, set aside and let mixture thicken for at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices (cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg) together in a large bowl. Add chopped chocolate and mix.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together mashed bananas, flaxseed mixture and melted butter; mix in vanilla extract. Pour banana mixture over flour mixture and mix until blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 - 10 minutes, remove from pan and allow cake to cool completely before serving.