This is the most delightful breakfast ever. I have to tell you, if you're making French toast with regular ol' sammy bread...you're doing it wrong. Just STOP. No more, I forbid it. Once you make it with actual French bread (well, French "style" bread)...oh gosh, just...if you haven't, you need to. Sandwich bread is for sandwiches and French bread is obviously for, well, French toast. Also, you have to wear your fancy pants when you eat these.
Spiced Chai French Toast [Vegan]
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used a vanilla coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. chai spice
- 1/2 tsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- coconut oil or nonstick cooking spray
- about 6 slices of french bread, about 1 inch thick
- In a shallow bowl, I like to use a pie dish, whisk together all the ingredients except for the bread.
Heat coconut oil (or coat with a non-stick cooking spray) in a large skillet over medium heat.
Slice up the french bread in about 1 inch thick slices.
- Coat a slice of bread in the french toast liquid for about 10 seconds on each side. The bread should feel slightly heavier but not soaked completely through. That's the trick!
- The blood bank loves me. Place the slice in the hot pan for a few minutes on each side, flipping with a metal spatula.
- Repeat with remaining slices of bread, until all the liquid is gone.
- Serve hot, drenched with maple (or birch!) syrup, and topped with powdered sugar and strawberries. Or whatever your fav toppings are!
- Chai Spice