These doughnuts are the epitome of autumn. Warm apple cider and cozy spices? It doesn't get more autumnal than that! Eat a doughnut or two with a mug of warm apple cider right after you go apple picking, and then jump in a big pile of leaves for the full fall experience.
Spiced Apple Doughnuts With Apple Cider Glaze [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Spiced Apple Doughnuts With Apple Cider Glaze [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour (you can make your own by running whole rolled oats through your blender or food processor, blend very fine for the best texture)
- 3 tablespoons ground golden flax seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- A dash of allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup of almond milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, plus extra milk as needed
- 4 Medjool dates, soaked in hot water for a few minutes to soften, then drained
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or extra milk or apple juice/cider (optional)
For the Apple Cider Glaze:
- 2 cups apple cider
- A dash of ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon
- Powdered coconut sugar (optional)
How to Prepare Spiced Apple Doughnuts With Apple Cider Glaze [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a donut pan with coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk, mix well, and break up any clumps.
- Add all the wet ingredients to your blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Add an extra tablespoon of almond milk if the batter seems to dry. It should be thick, moist, and sticky, with no dry clumps.
- Fill the donut pan 2/3-3/4 of the way, smoothing the tops. Remember, they will rise.
- Keep a bowl of warm water to dip your fingers into to keep the batter from sticking to your hands as you smooth it. Bake at 325°F for about 18 minutes, checking after 15 minutes. They will be firm to the touch and lightly golden. Let them rest in the pan for a good 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely.
- For the glaze, bring the apple cider and spices to a low boil in a small pot. Continue to simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the cider has reduced by more than half. Let it cool. If desired, add a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar to the reduced cider for a more traditional glaze. It will thicken as it cools.
- Alternatively, you can roll the donuts in the powdered coconut sugar and add an extra sprinkle of cinnamon.
These doughnuts are best eaten within a day or so.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1555 | Total Carbs: 286g | Total Fat: 39g | Total Protein: 39g | Total Sodium: 144mg | Total Sugar: 131gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.