How do you make any bread better? Make it sourdough! Adding sourdough starter to the pita bread dough results in fresh, tasty flatbread that has that tangy sourdough taste. This pairs perfectly with falafel, plant-based sabich, or it can be used to make sourdough pita pizzas.
Sourdough Pita Bread [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sourdough Pita Bread [Vegan]
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
How to Prepare Sourdough Pita Bread [Vegan]
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Oil a separate bowl and roll the dough ball around so that it is coated with oil. Cover loosely with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place four about 4 hours.
- Reshape into a big ball and let sit in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
- Divide the dough into eight equal portions, roll them into balls, and eventually into flat pancakes, an 1/8-inch or so thick. Bake each of them on a hot cast iron surface at 475°F. for about 2 minutes, then flip with a spatula and cook for another minute. If you attempt to flip them with tongs, you're likely to puncture and deflate the bread.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Whole Wheat
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.