Want a healthier take on cinnamon buns? These cinnamon buns are sweetened naturally with dates and are made from a hearty sourdough spelt four that gives them a rich, full flavor. When you bake these, your home will fill with the aroma of sweet dates, cardamom, and cinnamon. Yum!
Sourdough Cinnamon Buns With Dates [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sourdough Cinnamon Buns With Dates [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 7 ounces sourdough
- 3 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dates
- 3 1/2 cups spelt flour
For the Rest of the Dough:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cardamom
- 1 1/3 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
For the Filling:
- 1 1/8 cups dates
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to Prepare Sourdough Cinnamon Buns With Dates [Vegan]
To Prep the Dough:
- Begin with the dates. Easiest and fastest way to remove the seed is with your fingers. Put the dates in a large bowl and mix with a hand blender (or in a blender), then add the water.
- Then, add the sourdough. Add the yeast and stir evenly.
- Sprinkle in the spelt flour and mix thoroughly.
To Make the Dough:
- In the same bowl, stir in the cardamom and salt thoroughly, then add all the flour and work it with your hands.
- Finish by pouring oil over the dough then work with your hands to combine.
- Let it rise for 10 hours or more in the kitchen.
To Make the Filling:
- It's easy peasy. Deseed the dates and mix all the ingredients to a nice filling worthy of a cinnamon bun.
To Make the Buns:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, turn out the dough and roll it into a round shape. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a rectangular shape.
- Using a spoon, spread some filling over half the dough, lengthwise, then take the half that has no filling and fold it over the portion of the dough with filling.
- Take a knife and cut the dough vertically into long slices. Then, cut those slices in half, but not all the way — they should look like Pants.
- Take a piece of dough and begin to braid the two pieces together, then roll it into a bun shape.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the dough balls on it, leaving space in between them. Brush with oil and sprinkle with chopped almonds, then bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.