Sorullitos are Puerto Rican corn fritters that are enjoyed as an appetizer or snack and are very similar to hush puppies. This recipe is super easy to make and it only requires a minimal amount of ingredients. Plus, the fritters alongside the dipping sauce make for the perfect comfort food.
Sorullitos: Puerto Rican Corn Fritters [Vegan]
- In a small pot, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, and flour. Stir all of the ingredients with a whisk until there are no lumps.
- Slowly add the water to the pot and whisk it until everything is combined.
- Take the pot and place it on the stove over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture continuously for approximately 10 minutes or until it forms into a dough.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove. Let the mixture cool until you’re able to handle it with your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wet your hands with water so that the corn dough does not stick to your hands.
- Take a spoonful of the corn dough and roll into cigar shapes with your hands.
- Place it on the baking sheet and repeat this with the remaining dough.
- Spray them lightly with coconut oil before baking.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake it for 15 minutes.
- Turn them halfway and lightly spray the other side of the fritters with the coconut spray.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown color.
- In a small bowl add the ketchup and mayonnaise and mix until well combined.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with dipping sauce.