This bowl of zucchini pasta with sofrito sauce is so easy to make and packed with flavor and smells that’ll sneak up your nose and put a smile on your face. It’s satisfying, interesting, and much different than a traditional Italian pasta sauce. Unlike a traditional Italian tomato sauce, sofrito is made of yellow onions and red and green peppers. I tossed in some chopped manzanilla olives for saltiness and spiced it up with smoked paprika and gave it a delectable aroma with some chopped cilantro. Oh, and the plantains. I really tried my hardest not to fry the plantains, but I couldn't resist. I only used a half tablespoon of olive oil, so I call that “lightly fried.” I chose plantains that were green but ripe and soft, so they were slightly sweet. Once fried in the olive oil with some salt and pepper, their sugars popped through and when topped on the savory and spiced zucchini pasta, they tasted fantastic.
Sofrito Zucchini Pasta With Beans and Lightly Fried Plantains [Vegan]
- 1 green plantain
- 2 half-tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped green bell pepper
- 2 round red tomatoes, chopped (or 1/2 a 14-oz can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp chopped manzanillo olives or green olives
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1.5 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 1/3 cup pink beans or beans of choice
- Chop the ends off your plantain. Slice the skin lengthwise and peel the skin off the plantain. Slice the plantain lengthwise and chop it in four quarters. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the half tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil heats, add in the plantain pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Let cook for 2 minutes and then flip over, cooking for about another 2 minutes or until plantains are browned on both sides. Set aside on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and add in the other half tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil heats, add in the garlic, cook for 30 seconds and then add in the chopped onion and chopped peppers. Cook for 2 minutes or until the vegetables soften.
- Add in the tomatoes, smoked paprika and stir. Cook until the sauce reduces, about 10 minutes. Once the sauce is almost done reducing, add in the cilantro and olives and stir to combine.
- Add in the zucchini noodles, beans and cook for about 2 minutes or until zucchini softens, tossing frequently.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and topped with plantains.