These burgers are the perfect mix of sweet, spicy, and smoky. Made from sweet potato and black bean, the patties are packed with all the must-have summer barbecue flavors like chipotle, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, and spice rub. Topped off with chipotle mayo, guacamole, spicy crispy onion rings, and all your standard burger fixin's, you'll definitely want to make sure that you double (or triple) the batch if you're feeding guests.
Smoky Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers With Onion Rings [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 13.66-ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon milled flax seeds
- 2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle paste
- 1 teaspoon spicy rub
- 1.4 ounces bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Onion Rings:
- 1 cup plain flour
- Scant 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 large white onions
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 4 burger buns
To Make the Burgers:
- Begin by pricking your sweet potato all over with a fork, and then cooking for an hour in an oven pre-heated to 355°F.
- Once the sweet potato is soft, remove from the oven until cool enough to handle.
- Whilst the sweet potato is cooling, make your flax egg. Mix your milled flax seeds in a small bowl with 2 1/2 tablespoons of cold water. Leave in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to firm up.
- Add your olive oil to a frying pan and heat the pan on a medium heat until the oil is hot. Add your finely chopped onions and minced garlic, and sauté until soft and translucent. Set aside to cool.
- Next, scoop the sweet potato flesh from the skin and place in a large bowl. Mash with a fork until there are no lumps.
- Add in your drained black beans. You can mash these into the sweet potato if you wish, or leave them whole.
- Add your sautéed onions and garlic, as well as all of the spices, chipotle paste, and seasoning.
- Finally, add in the chilled flax egg and breadcrumbs. Stir until everything is fully combined.
- Feel free to taste the mixture at this point to ensure you are happy with the spices and seasoning. Adjust to taste if necessary.
- Cover the mixture with cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, take the mixture and shape into four large patties. The mixture will be soft to work with. Place on a plate, cover and return to the refrigerator until needed.
- Once ready to eat, heat a large frying pan with olive oil over a medium heat. Once hot, place patties in the pan and allow to cook for 3/4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side. As the patties will be soft, try to only move them once.
To Make the Onion Rings:
- Begin by creating the batter. Mix the flour, water, salt, and spice together until combined.
- In a deep saucepan, heat your vegetable oil until hot (about 375°F).
- Cut your onions into large rings, before dipping into the batter and carefully placing them into the hot oil.
- Allow to fry in the hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
To Make the Chipotle Mayo:
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix. Leave in the refrigerator to chill until needed.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and gherkins, and chop up the lettuce (if using).
- Place the tomato and lettuce on the bottom half of your burger roll.
- Add your burger patty, chipotle mayo, guacamole, and gherkins.
- Put the top of the bun on and secure with a skewer.
- Finish off with delicious crispy onion rings.