This smoky corn chowder encompasses the warm weather goodness of grilled corn. It's loaded with celery, onion, potatoes, and plenty of corn that's blended until smooth and creamy. Chili peppers add spice and the whole bowl is topped with more corn and a dash of paprika.
Smoky Corn and Potato Chowder [Vegan]
- 2 3/4 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup corn kernels, for topping soup
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 tablespoons canned adobo chili, depending on how much spice you like
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced for garnish
- Paprika, for garnish
- Sauté onion and celery 3-4 minutes on medium heat, until softened.
- Add garlic and chili and sauté 1 minute.
- Add 6 cups vegetable broth and potatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add corn and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup to desired creaminess. I like mine a little chunky. Add additional vegetable broth, if needed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve topped with green onions, paprika, and reserved corn.
Be careful not to blend too much, as the potato will get gummy.