A healthy chickpea and smoked tofu spread that's delicious, cheap and easy-to-make. To turn those boring lunches into scrumptious meals!
Smoked Tofu and Chickpea Spread [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and strained
- 6 ounces organic smoked tofu
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper
- 1 small organic carrot, diced
- 1/4 organic bell pepper, diced
- 2 spring onions, minced
- A handful of fresh parsley, minced
- In a food processor, dice the veggies and reserve in a separate bowl. Add chickpeas, smoked tofu and lemon juice to the food processor and blend well, leaving a few chunks. (You can also cut the veggies by hand and mix the legumes and tofu with an immersion blender.)
- Transfer into a bowl, add the seasonings and mix well with a spoon. Add the veggies and herbs.
Smoked tofu is usually firmer and contains less water, but make sure to press out any excess what before blending. You can replace vegan mayo with avocado purée, but know that the spread will get brown after a few hours due to oxidation. The quantities are only a suggestion. You can easily “eyeball” this recipe. Don’t be afraid to use other veggies and spices. You could add turmeric and curry powder for a delicious Indian version!