Instead of your typical chickpea salad, white beans are the star of this sandwich. They're mashed together with creamy avocado, whole grain mustard, lemon, and fresh basil. Leaving the beans slightly chunky gives them the perfect texture as a base for creamy avocado and crisp, fresh lettuce. Mixed with all those fresh flavors and tangy mustard, this easy sandwich is the perfect lunchtime staple for anybody.
Smashed White Bean Avocado and Basil Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 1 heaped tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
For the Optional Topping:
- Baby spinach
- Tomato slices
- Pour white beans into a large bowl and mashed a little with a potato masher. Add the diced avocado and lemon juice, then mash until there are just a few chunks of bean and avocado left. Stir in the mustard, basil, salt, and pepper, then taste and adjust flavors as necessary.
- Spoon onto a sandwich with toppings, salad, veggie bowl, or just eat it as is.