There's nothing like a good old-fashioned Sloppy Joe! This plant-based version is made with veggie crumbles, but it has all the flavor of the traditional sandwich – and not to mention the prerequisite sloppiness! These sandwiches are taken to the next level when topped with a mound of crunchy coleslaw. Plus, these babies can be made entirely gluten-free if you use gluten-free hamburger buns! Sloppy Joes for all!
Sloppy Joes With Simple Slaw [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups (11 ounces) veggie crumbles, homemade or store-bought
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- About 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced small
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- A couple splashes of hot sauce, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 6 hamburger buns (use gluten-free buns if desired)
- 3 cups cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté onions and bell pepper until soft.
- Add garlic and chili powder and cook for a minute more.
- Add veggie crumbles and tomato paste and simmer for five minutes. If mixture is too thick, add a little water or stock.
- Add hot sauce and salt to taste.
- Scoop the mixture on some buns and top with some slaw (see recipe below)!
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and adjust seasoning to taste.