A great vegan BLT sandwich is one of the simplest kinds of satisfying sandwiches there are. Once in a while, though, the sandwich idea sounds good, but a little change-up is in order. This salad has all the flavors of a good BLT, but the “B” is not vegan bacon. It's for the black beans in the recipe. This salad is complete with homemade croutons and a mayo-based dressing.
Simple BLT Salad [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 4-5 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and beans and cook until the beans are heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the nutritional yeast and cook for 1 minutes. Stir in the tamari and smoke and cook until the liquid evaporates. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the cubed bread and cook until the bread is turning golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the thyme, garlic powder and season with salt and black pepper. Stir and cook until the bread is crunchy, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the paprika and set aside.
- Combine the mayo and vinegar in a small bowl, mixing well with a whisk. Toss the mayo mixture with the lettuce, tomatoes and beans in a large bowl. Top with the croutons and serve immediately.