This shepherds pie with spring mustard mash is so filling and yummy!
Shepherds Pie With Spring Mustard Mash [Vegan]
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon soy milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- a handful fresh of chives, finely chopped
- 1 large brown or white onion, chopped
- 2 cups veggie mince
- 1 cup chopped parboiled carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 pint vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons onion gravy granules
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- a generous dash (or three) of liquid aminos
- a generous glug red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel, chop and boil the potatoes until they easily slide off a knife – around 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes (and the pan) thoroughly, then return the potatoes to the pan. Add the other ingredients and mash well. If you want to pipe it on top all fancy like, leave it to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Sauté the onion in a little olive oil over a low/medium heat until softened. Add the veggie mince and all the other ingredients. Let simmer over a low heat until nicely thickened.
- Put the filling into an ovenproof dish. Spoon or pipe the mashed potato on top, and dab some half teaspoons of margarine here and there over the mashed potato, and grind a little black pepper on top if you’re that way inclined.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until the potato is nicely browned. Serve with green veg, or whatever you fancy!