This savory stuffed persimmon recipe is the perfect side dish or quick lunch recipe. The persimmons are stuffed with lentils and cranberries. Roasted persimmons have a delicate and smoky flavor that wonderfully contradicts their natural sweetness. Their slight sweetness makes them the perfect companion to lentils and ginger.
Savory Stuffed Persimmons With Lentils [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 5 Fuyu persimmons
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, shredded
- 1 tsp garlic, shredded
- 1/4 cup red onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup baby mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1.5 cup lentils, cooked
- 1/4 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut water, optional
- 2 tablespoon Peperoncini peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cranberries, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Cut the tops of the Persimmons and scoop out the inside using a melon baller. Save the insides.
- Take a baking dish and oil it using cooking spray. Spray the persimmon inside and outside and place them in the oven.
- Roast them for 7 minutes and then remove the baking dish. Set them aside to cool.
- Heat a medium pan on medium for 30 seconds before adding the oil.
- Add the onions and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic and ginger.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes or until they soften.
- Add the persimmon pulp and coconut water. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add the spinach and let them shrink to half their size.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Fill up the roasted persimmons with the lentil mixture. You will have some mixture left over.
- Transfer the persimmons into the oven again and roast for about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool to touch. Serve immediately.