A hearty recipe perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This meaty, mushroom oat recipe is easy to make, uniquely delicious, and low in fat. The perfect combination for a healthy, warm meal on a cold day.
Savory Mushroom Oats [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats (works with most style of oats, just adjust cooking time accordingly)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, smashed then roughly chopped
- 6-ounces or 1 1/2 heaping cups cremini mushrooms, cut into wedges
- 1 generous teaspoon gluten-free tamari
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook on medium heat for 8-10 min, stirring once in a while, until they are browned in parts and smell delicious.
- Add the garlic and steel cut oats, stir for 30 seconds to toast, making sure nothing burns.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water and tamari. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12-15 min, until the water has absorbed and the oats are cooked to your liking.
- Fold in nutritional yeast, sprinkle with green onions, extra black pepper and enjoy!