This sauerkraut salad is easy to make, delicious and will support a healthy gut because of all the good bacteria. It is a truly delicious combination of contrasting flavors and textures, with the toasted walnuts, grated carrots, fresh chunks of tart Granny Smith apple, and cumin. This makes a wonderful addition to sandwiches or a side to a hearty dinner.
Sauerkraut Salad With Apples and Walnuts [Vegan]
- 1 25-ounce jar of sauerkraut
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 small onion chopped (use half an onion if this is too much for you)
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raisins (optional)
- Toast the walnuts in a pan or skip this step to make the dish raw. Rinse the sauerkraut if it's too acidic for you (better is not to rinse it though) and mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Keep in the refrigerator or serve.