This galette is the perfect dessert for autumn and a perfect way to use up your fresh apples! This dessert is not only delicious, but looks gorgeous at the center of the table.
Rustic Apple Galette [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup Whole grain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cooled vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Xylitol/ birch sugar (for the dough)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Egg replacement for 1 egg (you can use 1 teaspoon flax meal mixed with 3 teaspoons water)
- 3 teaspoon Ice cold water
- 4 Apples, medium size
- 3 teaspoons of Apple pie spice for apples
- 2-3 tablespoons Xylitol for apples (depends how sweet are your apples)
- 1/4 cup Pecans (crushed and whole)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
For the Galette:
- Wash and cut apples into quarters. Or you may peal them first if you don’t like the skin. Remove the core of each quarter and slice thinly while discarding the edges. You can eat them or give them to your kids.
- Mix the slices with 2 -3 tablespoons Xylitol and apple spice in a bowl. Make sure all slices are covered evenly and set aside.
- Prepare your egg replacement in a small dish and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients except water and egg replacement into a food processor and start pressing the pulse button.
- Continue full speed until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg replacement and blend again.
- Add 1 tbs ice cold water and blend again. Keep adding water and continue blending, until the dough does form a ball. Be careful, do not add too much water.
- Remove the dough and shape nice ball.
- Wrap it in a plastic and place it in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When ready, line your working surface with parchment paper and place the dough in the centre.
- Start rolling with rolling pin by adding little bit of flour to prevent from sticking.
- Apply another sheet on top and keep rolling until you create about 13inch diameter circle; it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Before you remove the parchment paper top layer, place the dough into a freezer for 10 min and remove the paper after.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- You may imprint a circle by using the frame of 9” spring form.
- Start applying your apple slices by creating circles, leaving 2inches from the edge; again, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- When ready, fold over the edge by the help of the layer of parchment paper underneath.
- Place into oven and bake for 15min then reduce the heat to 350F and bake for another 30min.
- Let it cool for few minutes then top with caramelized pecans and serve. You may top with vegan ice cream if you like.
For the Caramelized Pecans:
- Place crushed pecans and some whole pecans on heated pan.
- Add 2 teaspoon of maple syrup, reduce the heat and stir thoroughly until they become sticky.
- Take it off the heat and set aside until ready to serve.