We've all been seeing rainbow desserts popping everywhere this spring, but how about a savory dish with all the colors of the rainbow? Meet this roasted vegetable rainbow hummus. Not only does this creamy hummus contain all the colors of the rainbow, this recipe gives you six different flavors of hummus and each one is more delicious than the last. From a smoky purple chipotle to the yellow turmeric hummus, these dips are guaranteed to impress whoever tastes (or sees) them.
Roasted Vegetable Rainbow Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Red Hummus:
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved vertically, stem and seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Orange Hummus:
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- A pinch of ground cayenne pepper
For the Yellow Hummus:
- 1/2 lemon, sliced thinly, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
For the Green Hummus:
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- 1 small handful of fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Purple Hummus:
- 1/2 small purple sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Blue Hummus:
- 1 head of garlic, unpeeled and left whole
- 1 1/2 ounces vegan feta cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered spirulina, plus more for garnish
For the Hummus Base:
- 3 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
To Roast the Vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Place the red pepper halves on the sheet, cut side down. Next to the peppers, place the cut carrots. Lay the lemon slices in a single layer on the sheet as well. Next to that, place the cut sweet potato. Drizzle the vegetables with a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cut off the top 1/4-inch of the unpeeled head of garlic so the tops of each clove are visible. Place the clove on a 6-inch square of aluminum foil, cut side up. Drizzle the head with a teaspoon of olive oil, then fold up the foil and seal it closed tightly. Place the wrapped garlic on the baking sheet with the other vegetables, and roast them until everything is tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, place the pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Stirring or shaking the pan often, cook until the nuts are deeply toasted and browned. This should take 4-5 minutes. When they're toasted, immediately transfer the nuts to a bowl to cool to prevent overcooking.
To Make the Hummus Base:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the beans, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, and olive oil, and blend until smooth. Divide the hummus evenly between 6 bowls.
- Next make the different colors of hummus one at a time, wiping or rinsing the food processor clean between each one. All the hummus is best served at room temperature and can be refrigerated for up to a week in sealed containers.
To Make the Red Hummus:
- Transfer the hummus from one bowl back into the food processor. Remove and discard the skin from the red bell pepper—it should peel off easily— then add the pepper to the processor, along with the sriracha and salt. Blend everything until it's smooth, then transfer back to the serving bowl.
- Garnish the hummus with a swirl of Sriracha hot sauce if desired.
To Make the Orange Hummus:
- Transfer the hummus from the second bowl back into the food processor. Add the cooked carrots, reserving a few pieces for garnish.
- Then add the grated ginger, olive oil, lemon juice, and pinch of cayenne, and process everything until it's blended.
- Transfer this to its serving bowl and garnish it with the reserved carrots.
To Make the Yellow Hummus:
- Transfer the hummus from the third bowl back into the food processor. Add the roasted lemon slices, turmeric, and black pepper, and process it until it's blended smooth.
- Transfer the hummus to its serving bowl, make a small indentation in the hummus, then drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with ground black pepper.
To Make the Green Hummus:
- Transfer the hummus from the fourth bowl back into the food processor.
- Add the toasted pine nuts (reserving a few for garnish), arugula, mint, and olive oil, and process until everything is smooth.
- Transfer the hummus to its serving bowl and garnish it with the reserved pine nuts and a few chopped mint leaves.
To Make the Blue Hummus:
- Transfer the hummus from the fifth bowl back into the food processor. Unwrap the garlic head from the foil packet and gently remove the soft cloves from the papery skin.
- Add the cloves to the food processor, along wth the feta and olive oil, and process them until they're smooth.
- Transfer the hummus to its serving bowl, and stir in the powdered spirulina until it's evenly colored. Top it with a sprinkle of crumbled feta and a pinch of spirulina.
To Make the Purple Hummus:
- Transfer the hummus from the final bowl back into the food processor. Add the sweet potatoes (reserving a few for garnish), olive oil, chipotle chilis, and salt, and process the mixture until it's smooth.
- Transfer the hummus to its serving bowl, and garnish it with the reserved sweet potatoes.
Want just one color of the rainbow? You can easily make a single batch of any of these 6 hummus varieties. Start by roasting the ingredients for your chosen flavor, but double the ingredient amounts shown above—for example, to make a single batch of the blue hummus, you would use 2 heads of roasted garlic—3 ounces of feta, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon spirulina). Add the ingredients above to the blender or food processor, along with 1 can of garbanzo beans, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons tahini, 1 to 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Process until smooth, and then serve and enjoy!