A smooth and creamy hummus recipe, with the incredibly delicious sweetness of roasted parsnips and fresh thyme. Easy, affordable and low in oil!
Roasted Parsnip Hummus [Vegan]
- 2 Organic Canned Chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons Hulled Tahini
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Unpeeled)
- 1/2 Medium Lemon (Juice of)
- 5 Parsnips (Scrubbed clean and rinsed, no need to peel)
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Pressed Organic Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Flaked Sea Salt
- 1/2 Cup Water (Possibly a bit more)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- Scrub clean and rinse the parsnips. Chop them into strips and lay evenly on a line baking tray.
- Drizzle over the olive oil, and a sprinkling of sea salt. Place the sprigs of thyme on top. Place the cloves of garlic on the side of this tray, because we're going to roast them for about 7-10mins, just to get the flavors to develop.
- When the oven is pre-heated, pop the tray in for about 20-25mins - until golden brown.
- In a food processor, add the lemon juice. Once the garlic cloves have been in the oven for about 10mins, remove and place directly into the food processor. No need to peel or chop.
- Blitz until the garlic is finely mushed.
- In a blender (or food processor) add the canned chickpeas and tahini.
- Using a mesh sieve, pour over the lemon and garlic mixture, and press as much liquid out as possible, without getting any of the actual garlic into the blender. You can also use the food processor for this, but you'll have to remove the lemon mixture first.
- Next, add the salt and parsnips once they're golden brown and almost caramelized. Add as much of the oil that they cooked in too, as a lot of the flavor will have seeped into this.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water, and blend.
- If you need to add more water to get things moving, add little bit by bit.
- Once fully blended, creamy and smooth, remove and store in airtight glass jars, in the fridge for up to 4 days.