This roasted cauliflower bowl is just the type of easy-to-make dish that can save a night that seems destined for takeout. In this recipe, cauliflower is mixed with fragrant shallots, olive oil, and za'atar spice, and then roasted in the oven until browned. The flavorful cauli is then served on a bed of spelt pearls, and topped with roasted hazelnuts, mint, and black pepper for a delicious and nourishing meal.
Roasted Cauliflower Spelt Za’atar Bowls [Vegan]
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3 shallots
- 4 teaspoons za'atar
- 1/2 cup spelt pearls
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, roasted and skin removed
- A generous handful fresh mint
- Peel of 1/2 of 1 preserved lemon
- Generous splashes of extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Slice the cauliflower into small pieces. Peel the shallots and finely slice. In a medium-sized bowl, toss the cauliflower and the shallots together with 2 teaspoons of the za'atar and a generous splash of olive oil. Lay in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the cauliflower is starting to go a deep brown around the edges.
- In the meantime, add the spelt together with one cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and continue to cook over a low-medium heat until the water is absorbed. Give it a taste – the spelt should be cooked through but still retain some chew. If there is any crunch add another splash of water and continue to cook.
- Roughly chop the roasted hazelnuts and the mint. Finely dice the preserved lemon peel.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked spelt, roasted vegetables, the hazelnuts, mint, preserved lemon, remaining za'atar, a generous splash of olive oil, and few good grinds of black pepper. Mix to combine and enjoy warm, or cool the next day for lunch.