Za'atar is a blend of spices that's indispensable in Middle Eastern cooking. It's slightly tangy, intensely aromatic, and versatile enough to be used in many dishes, Middle Eastern or not. This recipe is so easy, you'll never have to buy a bottle of blended za'atar again.
Homemade Za’atar [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup freshly dried thyme leaves (not powder)
- 1/4 cup freshly dried oregano leaves (not powder)
- 3 teaspoon sumac, ground
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Preferably use fresh herbs that you dried yourself.
- You can make the za’atar in a spice grinder, a small food processor, or in a mortar and pestle.
- Add the ingredients to the processor and pulse a few times until combined.
- If you use mortar and pestle add the ingredients one by one, crushing each before adding the next.
- Keep refrigerated in a sealed jar or in the freezer.