Need an easy entrée that looks gorgeous and tastes amazing? This stuffed squash will give you exactly what you want. Acorn squash is roasted until tender and then stuffed with a seasonal mix of wild rice flavored with orange zest and dried cranberries, plus savory aromatics like garlic and shallot. Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze and a sprinkle of fresh parsley for added flavor and presentation.
Wild Rice and Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 acorn squash, cut in half and deseeded
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush inside of squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place face-down on a baking pan lined with foil and place in the oven for 25 minutes or until tender.
- In a sauté pan, add the olive oil and butter. Saute with shallot until translucent. Add the garlic, thyme and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the orange zest, rice, and cranberries. Cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Add the veggie stock and continue stirring until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff about 1/2 cup of filling in each squash. You can serve immediately, or bake again, covered at 350 for about 15 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with chopped parsley, if using.