The outside of the orange soften and become like velvet. The flavors melt in your mouth and almost taste coconut-like, which is the richness of the citrus baking. It really was the greatest surprise. Let’s not forget the crunchiness and saltiness of the kale. The trick with making kale chips is to use a minimal amount of salt or only salt when they come right out of the oven. To top everything off, we have roasted walnuts, which give the recipe a last bit of sweetness and also heartiness. The citrus vinaigrette brings out the flavors in the beet noodles and the oranges.
Roasted Beet Noodles With Oranges and Crispy Kale [Vegan]
For the Vinaigrette:
- Juice from 1/4 of a large lemon
- 1 crank of the salt grinder
- 2 cranks of a pepper grinder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon country dijon mustard
For the Dish:
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large orange, peeled and sliced into fourths or eighths
- 1 cup of roughly chopped kale leaves (stems removed)
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- 1 large beet, peeled, spiralized
- a handful of walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a baking tray lightly coated with cooking spray, place in the orange slices on one side and the kale on the other. Lightly coat the kale with the cooking spray and season with pepper. Set the timer for 20 minutes. After 10-12 minutes, remove the kale from the baking tray and set aside. Place the baking tray with the oranges back into the oven.
- In another baking tray, place the beet noodles and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- While the oranges and beets are roasting, assemble your vinaigrette. Place all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. Place in the refrigerator.
- 5 minutes before the oranges are done, place the walnuts on the side of the baking tray that used to hold the kale. Drizzle lightly with honey and toss carefully with tongs. Let roast for the remaining 5 minutes and take out with the oranges.
- When the beet noodles are done (should be done with the oranges or have another 5 minutes left), place them in a bowl and top with the orange slices, walnuts and kale. Drizzle the vinaigrette over. Enjoy!