Half of what makes a great dish is an excellent sauce. This rhubarb barbecue sauce is tart, savory, and can be applied to a range of dishes. Marinate jackfruit in this sauce for a super flavorful, vegan pulled pork sandwich.
Rhubarb BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 bunch rhubarb, chopped (about 5 medium stalks)
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water, to cover
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Add about 1 inch of water so that it covers the rhubarb mixture.
- Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for about 1 hour, until soft.
- Remove from stove and let the mixture cool a bit before transferring to a food processor and blending until smooth.
- Use immediately, or freeze in small containers.