This soup is a beautiful color that's cheerful any time of year. Meatier tomatoes, such as Romas, make a thicker soup and are ideal if you can find them. If not, just look for the freshest tomato available. It's also fairly economical, costing about $2.70 per serving.
Raw Tomato Red Pepper Soup [Vegan]
- 3 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 4 dates
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons celery, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes, red pepper, carrots, tahini, dates, chipotle, and lime juice until very smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with minced celery and add a little swirl of olive oil, if desired.
- Warm gently over stove, if desired.
If you like a thicker and even bolder soup, put the quartered tomatoes and chopped red peppers in the dehydrator for an hour or so before making the soup!