Here in Minnesota, my family loves to gather for special events often. We all make our way to my Grandparents house where we're sure to find my Grandmother creating a special dinner for everyone to enjoy. Ever since becoming Vegan in 2005 - dinners at my grandma's house haven't been the same. That is, until I started re-creating all of my family's passed down recipes. This one is an absolute favorite! I know adding mayonnaise into a dessert may sound odd, but give it a try. The mayo gives the cake so much richness and makes it so moist, you'll never need another chocolate cake recipe again!
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 6 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and cocoa in a medium-sized bowl. In a separate, larger bowl, blend together the water, mayonnaise, applesauce, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Once the wet in ingredients are well incorporated, add in the dry ingredients. Mix with your hand mixer until just mixed, making sure you've scraped down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9"x13" cake pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out dry, its done. Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before frosting.
- Melt together the sugar, milk, and margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Boil for 1 minute and take off the stove.
- Stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips. Stir in until the chips are completely melted. If your frosting is too runny, let it sit on your counter for about 20 minutes or refrigerate for 5-7 minutes until it's reached a good spreading consistency. Spread the frosting evenly over your cake and serve!