A quick, easy, and compassionate alternative to traditional cheesy rice, with the addition of spinach and cilantro.
Cheesy Spinach and Cilantro Rice [Vegan]
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours in water
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup millet flour
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Just before rice is finished cooking (when only a small amount of liquid remains in pot), uncover and place spinach leaves on top of cooking rice.
- Re-cover rice and continue to cook until both spinach and rice is tender.
- Stir together to combine spinach and rice.
- Drain cashews and puree in blender with about 1/2 cup water, or more if needed, until very smooth, about 5 minutes.
- In 2 quart saucepan, whisk together nutritional yeast,millet flour, and about 2 cups non-dairy milk until no lumps of flour or nutritional yeast remain.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add in puréed cashews, chili powder, and additional non-dairy milk and keep whisking until the sauce is the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
- Salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro.
- Combine sauce with rice and mix together completely.
- Garnish with a little more nutritional yeast and additional cilantro and serve hot.
Variation: If you dislike cilantro, feel free to leave it out and add more spinach, parsley, or steamed broccoli florets in place of it.