These raw cacao truffles are decadent and healthy treats! Raw cacao or raw chocolate (not the roasted, processed cousin known as cocoa) is known as a superfood for health and vitality. Cacao is the seed of the Theobroma cacao tree’s fruit. The powder is dark in color and rich in nutrients. Its bitter taste is often mixed with carob or stevia to make it more palatable. However, in this recipe for raw cacao truffles, sweeten it with dates, raisins, and coconut to create delicious truffles!
Raw Cacao Truffles [Vegan]
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 6 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup organic raisins
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons–1/4 cup cold, filtered water
- 1 cup shredded, dried organic unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Variations: Add some cayenne to spice it up, cinnamon, or whatever flavor you would like to try.
- Grind the almonds in a food processor to desired consistency. Add the cacao, dates, raisins, coconut oil, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Once everything is blended well, add the water to make the mixture moist.
- Empty mixture into a bowl and get ready to roll. Take a small amount of the mixture and roll balls a touch smaller than that of a golf ball between your palms. If you want to, dip each ball into a smaller bowl of the coconut flakes and cover thoroughly by rolling and pressing to cover each ball evenly.
- Keep in refrigerator to help the truffles harden for at least two hours till ready to serve.