This quinoa salad is super simple and super tasty, made with thinly sliced fennel, crunchy almonds, creamy ripe avocados, tangy green olives, and an easy-to-make garlicky dressing. It offers a tremendous amount of flavor that you wouldn’t expect from a salad. The juicy blood oranges not only make it look so pleasing to the eye but also add a sweet and citrusy bite to it.
Avocado Quinoa Salad With Blood Orange [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly
- 3 blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and cut into small chunks
- 2 cups cooked tricolored or white quinoa
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon blood orange zest
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons of paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To Prep the Salad:
- Place sliced almonds in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Toast them, stirring frequently, until they are lightly golden brown. This happens pretty quickly so keep a close eye on it. Transfer to a plate and let it cool.
- Place the shallot in a bowl filled with ice water and let stand while you are getting the other things ready.
To Make the Dressing:
- Whisk together the zest, vegan mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, oil, paprika, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Drain the shallot. Place shallot slices, sliced oranges, avocados, cooked quinoa, fennel slices, parsley, and olives in a bowl. Drizzle the dressing over. Give it a gentle toss.
- Serve immediately.