Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it gives your body fuel and energy to get you ready for the long day ahead, also eating breakfast increases your metabolic rate! This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and is great for a good wholesome breakfast on the go and leaves you feeling satisfied for longer.
Quinoa and Spiced Blueberry Bircher [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa flakes
- half a green apple grated
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Handful of Activated almonds (you can activate by soaking the nuts in a bowl of water over night, which starts off the germination or sprouting process and increases the nutrient value of the nuts along with breaking down the problematic compounds that help enhance their digestibility).
For the Blueberry Spiced Sauce:
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of each: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of natural vanilla extract
- pinch of stevia
- (make this the night before so its all ready for breakfast)
- Pour the quinoa, desiccated coconut, and chia seeds into a jar and stir.
- Add the coconut milk and grated apple and combined ingredients, seal jar and put in the fridge over night so ingredients become a thicker consistency.
- meanwhile, defrost the blueberries and add all ingredients, mash with a folk and put in the fridge over night.
- Breakfast time! Add the blueberry spiced sauce to the bircher and top with some almonds..
- lasts in the fridge unto five days so you can make a big batch and store for later.