You would never guess that these rich and gooey chocolate chip cookies are vegan. Using almond butter, coconut oil, and water to replace the egg gives them an award-winning chewiness with perfectly crispy edges and a soft center. Warm with autumn spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, these cookies are filled with pumpkin purée, lots of vanilla, and huge chunks of semi-sweet chocolate!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, coconut oil, pumpkin, water, almond butter, and vanilla extract until smooth and no lumps of sugar remain. Swap the whisk for a rubber spatula, then add the flour mixture and stir until combined and no streaks of flour remain. Do not overmix.
- When blended, stir in the chopped chocolate until evenly mixed. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour, or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon a few tablespoons of dough into the palm of your hand and roll it into a 1 to 2-inch ball. Place the balls of dough on the prepared sheets, leaving at least 3 inches between each one.
- Transfer the two baking sheets to two racks in the center of the oven, and bake until the cookies are golden brown around the edges with centers that still look soft, 14 to 16 minutes, swapping positions of the two trays halfway through the bake time to ensure even cooking. Transfer the pans to wire racks, and let the cookies cool completely on the pan. Serve and enjoy!