This juicy, Portobello mushroom steak will satisfy your cravings. It's delicious on its own, but you can also serve it with mashed potatoes or veggies! Sautéed with onions, balsamic vinegar, mirin, and herbs it’s a compassionate alternative to eating our furry friends! Mushrooms are great for adding a meaty texture in vegan dishes, but can also be used for the bulk of the meal. Once it's seasoned, it becomes a delicious and hearty vegan entree! Elegant, simple, toothsome and satisfying, these portobello mushroom steaks will fill you up and become a new favorite. Make them next time you want a hearty meal; you'll be happy you did!
Portobello Mushroom Steaks [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Portobello Mushroom Steaks [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan vegetable or vegan beef broth
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin or sherry
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- A dash of ground black pepper
- 2 large, whole Portobello mushrooms
How to Prepare Portobello Mushroom Steaks [Vegan]
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add half of the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Next, add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 8 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, excluding the mushrooms and the remaining broth. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth to clean them and pull off the stems.
- Add the whisked mixture to the pan and reduce to medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and then add in the Portobello caps and their stems.
- Cover and cook for about 8 minutes. Gently turn over the mushrooms, add in the remaining broth, cover, and cook an additional 8 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with the juice and onions over top.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 235 | Total Carbs: 33 g | Total Fat: 11 g | Total Protein: 6 g | Total Sodium: 1016 mg | Total Sugar: 20 g Per Serving: Calories: 118 | Carbs: 17 g | Fat: 6 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 508 mg | Sugar: 10 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.