Love plantains and stew? Then you're sure to love this hearty soup. It turned out fantastic and my taste-buds were grateful for it.The flavors are perfectly balanced - a bit of heat from fiery green chiles, sweetness from the plantains, a delicate aroma from fresh lemongrass...Need I go on?
Plantain Dumpling Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Plantain Dumpling Soup [Vegan]
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 3 green chilis or 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper
- A handful of fresh basil or partminger
- 1 stalk green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, half of it finely chopped
- 3/4 cup wholegrain flour or toasted breadcrumbs
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- Salt, to taste
How to Prepare Plantain Dumpling Soup [Vegan]
- Start by making the soup base. Blend half the red bell pepper with the tomatoes, lemon grass and a little water. Pour into a large pot, add the olive oil and season with salt. Let it simmer on a low heat as you get on with the rest.
- To make the dumplings, blend the ripe plantain with the garlic, chillies (or scotch bonnet pepper) and fresh basil (or partminger) in a food processor to form a smooth mixture. Transfer the mixture into a large bowl and add the chopped green onion, red and green bell pepper, and the flour/breadcrumbs. Mix well to evenly distribute the chopped vegetables. With floured hands, take spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into round dumplings - it should yield about 10-12. Arrange them on a lightly floured surface as you go along.
- Place each dumpling carefully into the simmering pot of soup. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes with the lid off (this will help thicken the soup slightly).
- Serve hot with a generous garnish of chopped fresh herbs.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 903 | Total Carbs: 180g | Total Fat: 17g | Total Protein: 19g | Total Sodium: 192mg | Total Sugar: 68gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.