Traditionally this dish is made with glutinous rice which is soaked in water overnight then milled to form a paste. Grated coconut can then be added then deep fried. But, with today's availability of glutinous rice flour, you can achieve a nearly similar result. Try this tasty recipe!
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cooking oil
- In a bowl add the glutinous rice flour, gently add water while mixing with your fingers until it forms a dough. Final texture should be similar to a bread dough.
- Knead to form into a large ball then divide them into smaller balls similar size to ping pong balls. Flatten the balls to form an oval shape then set it aside.
- Prepare a wok filled with oil, heat to 350°F. Deep fry glutinous rice dough until golden brown. Remove from wok, drain then let it rest on paper towel lined plates.
- Prepare your glaze. In a wok, add 1/2 cup of water, 1 cup brown sugar and salt. Bring it to a boil until it becomes a thick syrup. Add the fried glutinous rice dough, coat it evenly and continue to cook until its nearly dried. Once its dried remove from pan then serve.
- Rice Flour