Personally, I prefer whole food based recipes that really make the fresh produce and ingredients shine. This phish burger is an example of that, where chickpeas and nori come together to create something new yet very familiar. People often love to keep experiencing the same flavors that they enjoyed before they gave up animal products. Who said you needed to ever give up anything when going vegan?
Phish Burgers [Vegan]
- 2 can chickpeas
- 2 sheet nori, crumbled finely
- 1 tablespoon relish
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 6 buns or 12 slices of bread
- Lettuce and other toppings of choice
- In a large bowl, mash together the chickpeas, nori, relish, and mayonnaise until it is flaky but not mush. You want to keep some texture from the chickpeas. Add in the breadcrumbs and mix well. If needed add a little liquid or more breadcrumbs until it holds together when you try to form patties.
- This makes bigger patties, so you can make more than 6 if you want them smaller. Form them and place on a baking sheet lined with pachment paper. At this point you can do one of two things: freeze them and then grill OR bake in the oven at 425°F for 20 minutes or until crunchy on the outside.
- Serve in buns with lettuce and toppings or as a phish cake.