To make things easy, this recipe uses premade pizza crusts and simple ingredients. If you have time to make a homemade crust, go for it! This Pesto Corn Pizza is so delicious and flavorful that it will be a favorite of vegans and non-vegans!
Pesto Corn Pizza [Vegan]
For the Pesto:
- 2 1/2 cups fresh basil, loosely packed
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
For the Pizza:
- 1 Flatbread/pizza crust
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, preferably organic
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, diced OR 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, cut into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (or, if it is the summertime, start the grill).
- While the oven (or grill) is heating, make the pesto. Add all of the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend until cashews are a little smaller than what I describe as ‘crunchy peanut butter consistency’.
- Put your Flatbread on your pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread about half of the pesto batch on the Flatzza, or as much as you would like. Freeze the rest of the pesto for another time OR save for our Smashed Avocado Chickpea Pesto Sandwich for lunch the next day!
- Next, get out a non-stick skillet and bring it to a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the red onions. Consistently stir the onions so they do not stick to the pan. If they start sticking, add about 1 tablespoon of water or vegetable broth at a time and as needed. Once caramelized (about 5 - 6 minutes), add the onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Use the same pan you cooked the onions in (using the leftover flavor) and add the frozen corn, sweet red bell pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Then, add the corn and red peppers to the top if the pizza. If you like grape tomatoes, add them on top. Then add the caramelized onions.
- Add your pizza to the oven or grill for about 10 - 12 minutes.