These energy bites are soft, sweet, and minty with a crunchy exterior. They're great as a snack for whenever you need a quick pick-me-up in a short amount of time; just pop one out of the refrigerator and you're good to go! These are also great when frozen, which enhances their pepperminty flavor.
Peppermint Cacao Energy Bites [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cups of raw almonds
- 10 pitted, very fresh and soft Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons of vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Pinch of salt
- 4-6 candy canes or 1/2 cup of peppermint sticks
- Place your almonds into your food processor and break down the nuts into a chunkier flour texture — avoid over-processing to a flour. Some larger pieces add texture. Then add the dates, cacao and extracts and blend. Add chocolate chips and salt, then blend together. To test if the mixture is soft enough, pinch the "dough" between two fingers. If it sticks, it's ready. If not, add an additional date or two if necessary.
- Next, remove your mixture and add it to a bowl from your processor. Wash out the food processor bowl and dry well. Add about 1/2 of a cup of pepper sticks or candy canes and blend until broken down. Place that on a plate or a bowl for rolling.
- Using a small scoop, scoop the mixture and roll it into a ball and place it on a platter. Repeat until all of the mixture is used. Then roll into the peppermint mixture.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer or refrigerator.