In this recipe, a mixture of pearl millet flour and whole wheat flour are combined with pumpkin purée and sugarcane to make moist and delicate little cakes. These cakes are an unusual combination of things, but they are a dessert worthy of home gatherings.
Pearl Millet Flour Cake [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup pearl millet flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup powdered palm jaggery
- 1/2 cup fresh sugarcane juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh pumpkin purée
- In a mixing bowl, using an hand whisk or electric mixer, beat the pumpkin purée and palm jaggery until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla essence and whisk again, then add the sugarcane juice and vinegar. Whisk once more, add the olive oil, and whisk again.
- Sieve wheat flour, bajra flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and fold everything well. Preheat oven at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Grease a cake or loaf pan with olive oil and dust with flour. Pour the batter into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cake is done.
- Check the cake by inserting a toothpick at the center. If it comes out clean then remove the pan from the oven.
- Let it rest for 2 minutes then transfer the cake carefully to the cooling rack and let it cool down completely.
- Slice the cake and serve.
- Grains - Other