This African-inspired recipe combines peanuts and sweet potatoes seamlessly into a deliciously rich stew. This nourishing dish is full of protein, starches, and super healthy greens. Plus, it's easy to doubles if you want leftovers.
Peanut Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- Additional red pepper flakes, as desired
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Once it's warm, add your oil.
- Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes until they're translucent.
- Add your pressed garlic and grated ginger and stir the mixture to combine everything.
- Next add your ground cumin, coriander, salt and red pepper flakes and stir the mixture.
- Add your chopped tomatoes and allow a couple of minutes for the excess water to evaporate.
- Toss in your cubed sweet potatoes and stir the mixture.
- Add your vegetable broth and allow the sweet potatoes to simmer for about 12 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the peanut butter.
- Mix in the chopped spinach and cilantro and allow a few minutes for them to wilt.
- Add more salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper as needed.
- Serve with rice or your grain of choice.
- Garnish the stew with cilantro, chopped peanuts, and red pepper flakes.
- Sweet Potato