This pasta and sausage with kale dish makes an excellent high-protein meal! Feel free to whip this up any time of the week!
Pasta with Sausage and Kale [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pasta with Sausage and Kale [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 14-ounce can of white beans, such as cannellini or great northern (or 1½ cups homemade white beans) Do not drain
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Meatless Sausage:
- 4 plant-based brats or plant-based Italian sausages, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
For the Kale:
- 6 kale leaves, ribs removed (Dogs love them!) and leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, optional for garnish
For the Pasta:
- 8 ounces penne or bowtie pasta
How to Prepare Pasta with Sausage and Kale [Vegan]
- Transfer the can of beans (liquid included) into a blender with the salt and lemon juice, and puree until smooth. Go for a creamy sauce consistency. If you’re using homemade white beans, you can add water or vegetable broth to reach the desired consistency.
- Prepare pasta in a large pot according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving one cup of the pasta water. Return pasta to the pot and add the bean puree, stirring to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the sausage over medium heat, turning a few times until the sausage begins to brown. Add the sausage and any drippings to the pasta pot.
- In the sausage skillet, sauté the kale on medium heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 3-5 minutes, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water as needed to deglaze the pan. Sprinkle garlic powder and red pepper flakes (if using) over the kale and turn occasionally. Keep covered.
- Once the kale is tender, transfer it to the pasta and turn the heat on low. Toss to mix everything together. If the mixture looks too dry, add reserved pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Serve into 4 dishes and top each with a tablespoon of toasted pine nuts.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.