Enjoy the crispiness of fried okra without having to fret over the nutritional value! These baked and cornmeal crusted bites are cooked in the oven as opposed to a deep fryer. They make the perfect appetizer to serve alongside this sunflower cider dip.The dip is made from sunflower seeds, apple cider vinegar, and plenty of dried herbs. Basically, you’re getting "fried" okra and a sauce without any added oils. You're welcome!
Oven-Fried Okra With Sunflower Cider Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Oven-Fried Okra With Sunflower Cider Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Okra:
- 1/2 pound okra, stems removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1 scant tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
For the Sunflower Cider Dip:
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon total other dried herbs (oregano, thyme, tarragon, or whatever you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Oven-Fried Okra With Sunflower Cider Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Okra:
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Add in the prepped okra. Make sure the okra are coated in the coconut milk then set this mixture aside to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, tapioca starch, and Old Bay. After the okra mixture has rested, drain out the coconut milk then toss the okra pieces in the cornmeal mix until they are coated. It might get messy, but that’s all part of the fun.
- Arrange the coated okra pieces on your baking tray, then bake them at 450°F for 15-20 minutes until the breading is toasty and golden. Cool for at least 15 minutes before enjoying.
To Make the Sunflower Cider Dip:
- Rinse and drain the sunflower kernels then add them to a blender along with all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth.
The dip recipe makes about 1 cup of dip.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.