It is common for people to think of their favorite foods from their childhood as comfort foods. One of them is, of course, grilled cheese! You can still enjoy all the comforting tastes without the dairy in this classic spin-off of a childhood favorite. Great for kids and adults alike, this grilled cheese is the perfect companion to tomato soup.
Ooey-Gooey Grilled Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or vegan butter
- 2 slices vegan cheese*
- Veggies and fillings of choice (My favorites are avocado, spinach, basil, kale, tomato, caramelized onion, etc.)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of oil or vegan butter on the outside of each slice of bread.
- Build your sandwich by placing cheese slices and veggies on one slice of bread (butter side down), then placing the other slice of bread on top (butter side up).
- Place sandwich on the heated skillet and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side (you may cover the pan with a lid to keep the heat in and help the cheese to melt faster), until bread is golden and crispy and the cheese is nice and melty.
- You can also use a panini press if you have one- This will cook in about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, slice, and enjoy!
You can also use Chao slices or Follow Your Heart cheese.
- All Vegan Cheese